Some tips for a nice Green Christmas for our readers in Hungary...
If you're looking for some gifts that make a difference in the world, then these suggestions from Dan at Treehugger Dan's are well worth checking out.
- Give a certificate saying "no gift necessary"
- Rent a reusable live Christmas tree from Oazis Garden Center
- Jug-style water filter
- Energy-efficient light bulbs
- Extension cords with master/slave switches
- Organic Fair Trade chocolate! www.treehuggerdans.com
- Give an organic vegetable box from an organic farm like the Open Garden Foundation or Satyor
- Make a book of tickets for your loved-one with "services" you can render: erotic massage, a movie, romantic dinner at restaurant of his/her choice, walk in the woods, baby sitting...
- Reusable textile bags or woven shopping baskets
- Buy gifts without batteries (like a self-winding watch) or with rechargeable batteries
- Rechargeable batteries with charger
- For bigger purchases, make sure the goods are rates A+ in both water and energy conservation; or a vacuum with a reusable bag
- Get something repaired for them, like a leaking tap, trousers, DVD player...
- A hiking map or bicycle map for the Buda Hills, Pilis, Aggtelek, Balaton...
- Oázis Garden Center offers potted deposit-return Christmas trees. Trees may be returned between January 2-8 to the same place with the original receipt. Customers receive credit at any Oaszis Garden Center equal to 50% of the tree cost. The trees cost between 4000-7000 Huf.
- A bike
- Monthly or annual public transport ticket
Some shops worth checking out as well:
Greff Elektronika (V. ker, Bank u. 1, M-F 8-17, tel: 332-8083) for electronic goods.
Shoe repair with the old lady in the courtyard of Izabella u. 73 or 75, "Cipesz" (ground floor across the courtyard).
At 1067 Csengery u. 36, there is Magda Szabo, a nice, quick tailor/seamstress who is often open late for emergency repairs. Tel: 1-342-6594
There is also good zipper repair near Ferenciek tere in the courtyard by the church (czipzar).